Teddies by Laura Lynn

One of a Kind and Small Limited Edition Collectible Artist Teddy Bears Designed + Created by Teddy Bear Artist Laura Lynn Matthews

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Getting Back to Bears!!

Just thought I'd pop in to say hello! I'm really happy to be getting back to creating the bears that I love. I am currently working on some special request bears - but I am working in some website bears at the same time!

I am just terrible at keeping up with my book keeping! That meant that I had to enter in ALL of my expenses and income all at once. Well... that's done now and we've had our visit to the tax man. I've even hopefully started a plan for keeping up with the books. A "new" (for me) computer program I got should really help out. It's made it so much easier to enter in those expenses.

And yes, we were accepted by Chihuahua Rescue USA as adoptive parents!!! Thanks to everyone for the comments and emails. We've had our little girl Sequoya with us now for 2 1/2 weeks. Naturally I have to share a photo ;)

5 Comments:

  • At February 26, 2008 , Blogger Karen C said...

    She's a cutie!

    But I had to laugh at the name: many years ago, we took in a puppy. A semi-stray, dumped by a neighbor after she developed parvo... the vet told us she'd be 100-120 pounds. So we didn't name her, because we weren't going to keep her, but it was awfully hard to find a home after we told people how big she was going to get. And my mother-in-law was mentioning a friend's new granddaughter, named "Sequoia" (spelling unknown), and we said "'Sequoia'? If you're naming the kid after an Indian chief, that Sequoyah was male. And if you're naming her after a tree... it's a tree! That'd be an okay name for a dog, though. A really... big... dog. Hmm."

    So by the time we went back to the vet the second time, having resigned ourselves to owning a dog larger than our house (and with, doubtless, all the horrible health and temperament problems associated with backyard-bred Shepherd mixes), she had a name. And then the vet said "Oh, look at those teeth! She's about a month older than I thought, her dental development was behind. Malnutrition. She'll probably be about sixty pounds." Which, by that point, didn't sound big at all.

    That'll be twelve years ago this summer... Sequoia (a/k/a Seeky-Sue, Quoi-Quoi, Big Horse, etc.) is snoring peacefully by my chair right now. Temperament? Sweetest dog EVAR, thinks she's our son's nanny. Health? Well, the hip dysplasia thing, but that's it.

    So yeah, you don't spell it like the tree, but I can't help thinking of it as "little tiny dog, GREAT BIG NAME!" Heh. May your Sequo[y|i]a be just as much of a keeper.

     
  • At February 26, 2008 , Blogger Laura Lynn said...

    Aww thank you Karen! Oh my gosh your story is so great!! How cool :) Sounds like a good thing that at first everyone thought she'd be bigger.... otherwise you wouldn't have had such a great friend.

    This is the first dog whose name we didn't change... and it was their spelling. I didn't know there were two spellings LOL!

     
  • At February 26, 2008 , Blogger Karen C said...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah

    "The names Sequoyah or Sequoia are both spellings given by Mormon missionaries, said to be as corruptions of the Cherokee name Sogwali or Sikwâ'yǐ which is believed to be derived from the Cherokee word siqua meaning 'hog'."

    (I Did Not Know That last bit... it's our other dog, a dachshund, who deserves a "hoggy" name. It'd confuse him if we called him "siqua," though.)

     
  • At February 28, 2008 , Blogger Nancy D said...

    Such a beautiful little lady. Great photo too. I am making a Chihuahua for a rescue club auction. Your pic is a big help in getting details right.

     
  • At March 04, 2008 , Blogger Laura Lynn said...

    Karen thanks for all that great info!

    Thank you Nancy!!! Good luck with your auction and way to go!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home