Teddies by Laura Lynn

One of a Kind and Small Limited Edition Collectible Artist Teddy Bears Designed + Created by Teddy Bear Artist Laura Lynn Matthews

Friday, August 24, 2007

And then... it went dark! I'm so glad I made Candles!!

I was working on bears for the Kansas City Teddy Bear Jubilee last night when all of a sudden - it went dark. We lost power.

Not too surprising as we've had 4" of rain in the last 24 hours... on top of the 5" we got last weekend. We had winds up to 80 mph in the Chicago area which even blew the roofs of several buildings and pulled up huge 100 year old trees (100 years old in Chicago is old :) )

There were some tornadoes in the area too... fortunately no touch downs. But as we don't have a basement, I was huddled in the bathroom (middle of the house - no windows) with 4 nervous whippet dogs.

The "funny" thing is that our power went out after the storm PASSED us.

Bob works in the electrical industry - and so he figured that Com Ed may have taken us off the grid temporarily while they fixed someone who lost power because of the storm. Power was restored 30 minutes later - so I'm pretty sure that was the explanation. There's over 180,000 homes without power right now - so 30 minutes was not a problem!

But when the lights went out - I was ready!! Candle making has been a hobby of mine for a few years now. I'm ALMOST done testing my candles LOL!!! (I've been saying that for a couple of years now) I only do this every once in a while - otherwise I'd have my testing done :)

I tell ya it sure smelled good in my house! I left them burning even after the lights came back on :)

That event got me to thinking... I know it's not teddy bear related - but most women love candles - and do you know I made these in my microwave? You cannot do that with most waxes.... but here and there I'll write some posts teaching you how you can make your own candles in your microwave - Stay Tuned!



Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At August 25, 2007 , Blogger Jill said...

    Laura Lynn - Thank goodness you were only out for 30 minutes. I would love to make candles in my microwave and I look forward to learning how. That would be so generous of you (but we already know you love to share). Love your bears.

    Jill from TT

     
  • At August 25, 2007 , Blogger Unknown said...

    Wow, Laura Lynn, your candle is nice and I heard the same thing about you. For an explanation, see my q.D.paToOtieS Blog entry for today!!!

    http://qdpatooties.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home