Teddies by Laura Lynn

One of a Kind and Small Limited Edition Collectible Artist Teddy Bears Designed + Created by Teddy Bear Artist Laura Lynn Matthews

Monday, April 7, 2014

New Closet Studio in Progress!

It can take me a while to settle in to a new place.  After almost 2 years of living in my new home, I've finally decided how I want my studio to be set up.

I wanted my space to be out of the way, and the room needed to have some daylight.  We do have an "empty" room (well, almost empty) at the front of the house, but it just wasn't right for my studio.  It would make the whole house look messy if I didn't clean up my work.  (WHEN, not "if" LOL!)

So we decided I would use the spare bedroom.  However, the furniture in there needs to stay.  There is an antique bed, dressing table and a futon.  There IS a nice sized closet though!  That's where I decided to set up shop.

Here was my original inspiration - a photo from Michael's using their cube storage system:


I just LOVE this, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money.  I also already had a couple of tables.  But this did give me a starting spot for an idea.  

This is what I came up with to start with....

Not nearly as pretty, but it's a start!  I've  had the plastic drawers for years; the portable tables for about one year.  At this point I've still got lots of "stuff" on the top shelf, and my mohair is in Rubbermaid tubs in 2 corners of the room.  Not real pretty when company comes to visit, but at least I can collapse the one table and close the doors on the "studio".



Just last week, after finishing my taxes, I decided to work on the studio a little more.  I found another storage area for the "stuff" on the top shelf and brought my bear collection out.  They are up there just temporarily.  

I like having the door on the left half way closed as the window is behind me and so daylight bounces off the door.  I also have a poster board there where I keep my many many ideas on post it notes!

The next step will be to put the mohair in pretty new cardboard storage boxes I ordered from Amazon.  I will put them up on the top shelf where the bears are currently.  

Then I will install some simple shelves on both sides of the closet on the inside where the closet extends beyond the doors.  The right side will have my office stuff (computer, printer, etc) and the right side will have some of my bear collection so I can enjoy it while I'm working.  They won't all fit there, but I'll have fun rotating the collection.

I can't wait to share the new photos when I take the next step!
 
 

4 Comments:

  • At July 27, 2014 , Blogger mygirl blog said...

    I love your closet space well done Laura :) thank you for sharing this look forward to having you on our new Facebook page when we open it after dealing with few things like cover page etc as I explained in email from mygirl.bindi@gmail.com

     
  • At August 06, 2014 , Blogger Laura Lynn said...

    Thank you Mandy! I'm looking forward to the new group!

     
  • At September 19, 2014 , Blogger Donna said...

    It's a great start, Laura! I love your fur friends looking down at you as you work!!

     
  • At September 23, 2014 , Blogger Laura Lynn said...

    Thank you Donna, it's a work in progress :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home