Teddies by Laura Lynn

One of a Kind and Small Limited Edition Collectible Artist Teddy Bears Designed + Created by Teddy Bear Artist Laura Lynn Matthews

Monday, March 26, 2007

Who taught me to sew??

I've had a few people ask me how I got started with sewing in general. I know many teddy bear artists learned from their Moms, Grandmoms, etc....

When I was younger I really wanted to learn how to sew.... but my (awesome) Mom didn't know how. Well, she DID have a sewing machine... but it was broken for as long as I can remember LOL! Something about the bottom tension....

Well, along comes 8th grade and Home Economics!!! Yeah!!!! Yep, I learned how to sew in school in Jr. High.

I didn't do a lot of sewing after that, however, because we were taught in school that you needed to have 2 people take your yardage of fabric and pull it out to straighten the grain. I don't like asking for help much (just ask my husband LOL!) so I just never sewed much again (not to mention that Mom's sewing machine was still broken!

Fast forward a bit.... to when I had my daughter.... and I dearly wanted to make dresses for her and her dolls. I was talking with my step-mom (an avid sewer and quilter) and it was SHE who informed me that I don't need to do all that pulling to my fabric! Just pre-wash it :).

So... that is how I got started with sewing in general :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home